Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pain

I'm home again after a few days of escape at the cabin. Escape from the housework schedule (it's working, but I'm still sick of doing it all), escape from rushing out of the house to get to the next activity, escape from my kitchen and laundry and all the other stuff that seems to be wearing me down lately. I'm ashamed to admit it since I know how much I have to be happy about, but I'm feeling a little down lately. Ok, a lot down. Mostly it's the pain in my upper back from the muscle tension. It's constant now. ALL THE TIME PAIN. My doctor did prescribe a muscle relaxant which does help, but it also makes you sleepy and slushy and a little dull and unmotivated (thus the lack of posts.)

In the past what has helped me the most is yoga and meditation, but the results aren't immediate and it requires regular practice over many months. I have started up again using Jon Kabat-Zinn's mindfulness-based stress reduction program which is the class I took and that helped me immensely after Yogi was born. I was actually pain free for over a year. It's good stuff. No "slushy brain" side effects either.

2 comments:

emme said...

i remember when the kids were little and joe would take them away for the weekend so i could sleep all weekend - of course it was hard to rest looking around the house at everything that still needed to be done, and then they'd come back sunday night and in two seconds i'd be exhausted again - it was never enough. i could never get enough sleep or catch up enough to not be instantly tired again. maybe this isn't helpful, but it does get better. i hope the mindfulness works - joe loves it and finds it very helpful

Gretchen said...

I HEAR YOU!

I've had chronic tension migraines from neck and shoulder tension for ten years now. Chiropractor care, needles all over my body, stretches, many pain meds- it just won't escape me!

I wish you luck and a night without pain....