Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Left Foot

So. It's over and the surgery went well, I guess. I haven't actually seen my foot as it's covered in dressings, wrapped tightly with an ace bandage and then sheathed in a big velcro strapped boot which makes it look something like a Frankenstein foot. The doctors did end up doing the bone graft so I have two incisions - one on my big toe where they did the repair and one where they went in to harvest some bone. Unbelievably, the pain has seriously diminished since the surgery on Friday. I'm still taking some pain relief, but not much.

Now I'm just trying to focus on keeping my foot up. I'm only allowed to let it be down for 10 minutes at a time and then only when necessary. This makes doing pretty much anything I usually accomplish impossible so I'm relying on my parents who are so generously helping us out.

Right now they have all three kids and are out doing errands. It is so strange to be home and have it quiet. A little surreal, actually. And it's strange to have my whole life come to a halt. No more plans, schedules, play dates. I'm hoping my dad will still take the kids on the weekly hike we do with other homeschoolers and take them to their weekly sports class, but I can't do it either way. And as much as an inconvenience as this is, the slowing down and quieting down of our life is nice.

2 comments:

TT said...

Susan - I'm very happy to hear that the pain has subsided, and that you can get back to blogging again.

Deni said...

You are very blessed to have such great parents! You are a lucky family.