Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Debre Libanos

These photos were taken on our second day in Ethiopia as we headed through the countryside toward the Blue Nile Gorge for a picnic. One of our stops was at the Debre Libanos monastery. A beautiful setting:

When we pulled up our guide turned to me and said, "They will ask you if you have mensblahblahblah." I had no idea what he was talking about so I gave him a blank look and said,"Uh, sorry?". He repeated,"You have mensblahblahblah?" I still had no idea. We went on like this a few more times until Chris got interested, listened for a moment and then looked at me and said very carefully, "MENSTRUATION." Kind of funny at the time and I'm not sure why he made such a big deal about asking me because he wasn't really asking - just informing me that women aren't allowed to enter during that time of the month. Then he went in and bought our tickets.You can see some people wearing yellow which we were told symbolizes hope. When we first stepped inside the light and air seemed so peculiar - as if we were looking though gauze. But then I realized it was just the combination of smoke from burning incense and the diffuse light. And then I heard the chanting. I would've thought it was a recording, but the floor was softly vibrating from the voices and drums. They came from below and the whole effect was other-worldly.

3 comments:

los cazadores said...

Gorgeous pics!

Cindy

Gretchen said...

Wow- that looks and sounds like an incredible experience! Thank you for sharing....

Nikki said...

Wow, incredible. Makes me really excited for february when i will be in ethiopia!!

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com --> blog stylizing for my Ethiopian mission!