Friday, August 22, 2008

The Portuguese Bridge

Ethiopia travels continued...

Our last stop on our way back to Addis after our picnic by the Blue Nile Gorge, was the Portugeuse Bridge. The sky started to look bruised and swollen and after a few minutes of a strong wind, the rain started and everyone ran for it.



Here is the actual bridge. Apparently when the rainy season is in full swing the river just roars below the bridge. There was only a small trickle when we were there.

When we got out of our SUV and started walking toward the bridge I noticed one boy walking along with us. At one point when I stopped to enjoy the view, he approached me and wanted to sell a marble cross that he'd carved. It was beautiful and only $5 so I said yes. And then suddenly a whole group of boys appeared out of nowhere and circled me, all holding out their marble crosses and baskets, and all telling me they were students. Chris was off taking pictures so I was alone. (thanks a lot, Chris!) And my hands started to sweat and my heart was beating fast and I felt so uncomfortable. Now that I'm writing it, it doesn't sound like a big deal, but when it's your second day in Ethiopia and you don't speak Amharic and you're completely surrounded by people who want and need your money, it makes you want to get the hell out of there. At least that's how I felt -- even though the boys were actually very nice.



So beautiful.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I was here too!! And not so long ago either. Love the memories!