Sunday, August 31, 2008

Good Mom

I know this is not breaking news or anything, but being a good mom is so much harder than being a bad mom. It just wears me out. We go out to dinner which, in my book, is a treat all by itself, but then it starts.

Can we have ice-cream for dessert?
No, you already had ice-cream after lunch.
Can we go to the toy store then?
No, we have some errands to do.
But we just want to look, not buy.
No, not this time, honey.
But I'm tired of our toys.
You just got a new lego thing earlier this week.
Well, how about ice-cream then? Can we have just a little ice-cream, pleeeeease?
No, not this time, Sweetie.

I'm not even kidding. This is the actual conversation that we had tonight. Sometimes parenting feels a little like petting a cat backwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! I don't even like taking Pritam to the grocery store. I've started referring to it as "the Land of No." conversations like that are just exhausting. Keep up the good work though, having been a family therapist I can confirm for you that in the long run being a bad mom is much worse. : - )