Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lego Craziness

In the last few months the boys have discovered legos - not the chunky duplos, but the teeny tiny choking hazard genuine legos and they have really stressed me out. Like I said, these are choking hazards and there seem to be literally hundreds of them on my floor at any given time. With Ember crawling and cruising and generally exploring everything now, it's been a big problem.

The other part that's making me crazy is the fact that legos are mainly sold in sets that build a specific item - a specific and complicated item (often related to a current movie) that is basically impossible to re-build without the directions. So, with my natural tendency to organize everything I tried to keep all of our sets separate in their own little labeled containers so that we would always have all the pieces together that are necessary for building that particular item. But the only way to make this work is to let the boys only have one set out at a time. You can imagine how long that lasted! It just didn't work. It was making me CRAZY. I can't even say it was making the boys crazy because they just ignored my whole system anyway.

So last night I took all of our sets and dumped them into one big container. The boys loved it and I felt a big wave of relief wash over me. My life just got a whole lot easier!

2 comments:

emme said...

Way to go Susan - the kids don't care. Remember the Holy Family set at Christmas...they just want to do their own thing. Now when they get a bit older it may be different. We had whole buckets of them for the kids to use any imaginative way they wanted.

susan said...

Yeah, I know it's just me wanting to organize and control everything. The boys really are having a lot more fun now. Instead of ruining the ship or helicopter or whatever, they are simply creating, inventing, making it their own. It's a lovely thing to see.