Friday, January 30, 2009


Yesterday something very sad happened: we lost Piggy. It happened while we were at my parents' house in Edmonds. At one point the boys and my niece took a wagon walk around the block so maybe it fell out then, but both my niece and the boys swear it was in the wagon the whole time. And Beck says he remembers clearly bringing it back into the house. Well we've torn the house apart looking for it and it's just not there. We've also retraced their wagon walk path several times and didn't find it. Chris even drove out there after work last night and combed through the neighborhood with a flashlight looking for it. No luck. My parents have called the dog-walking neighbors. Still nothing. Chris made this flyer and I posted it on every mailbox this morning and talked with the mailman but so far we haven't heard anything.

Beck cried for several hours before finally falling asleep last night. It was his first night ever without Piggy. I laid down with him and he told me that he will stop crying some day, but he'll never stop being sad. And then he said he hoped that someone will find Piggy and take care of him and love him like he does. It just broke my heart. I cried too. I know Piggy was just fabric and stuffing, but he's been part of our family since Beck was born.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, this is so sad! I'm getting teary reading about Piggy and imagining Beck's sadness. Abby has Huggie (her blanket) and Yellow (her Care Bear) and they go everywhere with her, even school. I cannot imagine how crushed she would be to lose either of them. Hopefully Piggy will come back to Beck. Fingers crossed!

Shelly

Deni said...

Beck is so very brave! He is also so lucky to have parents so loving and caring to try so hard to find Piggy and understand his grief.

emme said...

Oh - I'm so sad. We just got our internet back this evening and the first thing I saw was the notice about Piggy being missing. I guess it puts the flooding of our basement a little in perspective. Although we did lose some beloved items - it wasn't a member of the family!

Margi said...

I am so glad that Piggy is found now!