Tuesday, July 22, 2008

First

The morning we met Ember, a driver from our agency picked us up from our hotel. I asked him what Ember was like and he responded, "She's very happy! Smiles a lot!" I thought that was a good sign!
There were two other families also there to meet and pick up their children on that same day. They coordinated it so that all 3 cars arrived at the Thomas Center (our agency's transition home) at the same time and some of the staff met us in front with our babies and a bunch of flowers.
It was actually kind of hard to find a decent photo of me (not that you're looking at me in this picture!) since I was so overcome with emotion and in most of the pictures have big tears dripping off my face. The woman who handed us Ember is Selihome - Abdissa's wife.

After the initial meeting we all went upstairs at the Thomas Center for some snacks and time to bond a little. They also gave us some basic feeding information, cell phones to use during our adoption week, and a schedule for the week.

Here's Chris with baby Ember.


And finally just a photo of one of her first bottles with us back in the hotel! It was a good start!

9 comments:

Jillienne said...

Thank you for the pictures, they made me a little teary, I remember all of those feelings being there, so overwhelming.

los cazadores said...

Fabulous photos! I can only imagine how emotional that experience is.

Thanks for asking about our process; we are right now on the "wait list". Yay! I think another 3 to 5 months and hopefully we'll be receiving a referral.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful! I didn't adopt out of Ethopia, just right here in the US, but I remember those tears of joy.

Dawn (Mary Ellen's friend)

los cazadores said...

I notice you have "Three Cups of Tea" on your bookshelf and while I have never read it, based on the short description, I think you might also like "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World" if you haven't read it yet.

Cindy

emme said...

I sent Dawn the link as she adopted her daughter 13 years ago now. Demelza is African American in heritage and pleased to see pictures of a baby girl who looks like her who was also adopted!

Ember is such a cutie pie!

Anonymous said...

Susan, Ember is so beautiful! What a wonderful experience! Thanks again for the photos you sent. They really made my day,, and probably the rest of my week!

Sparkz said...

Oooh. I love the gotcha day. I am sure I'll be crying like crazy. When I see other peoples pictures, a lot of times, I get crock. tears! The picts. are great!

Adoption Cubed said...

Oh, wonderful photos! I have been anxious to see some with Ember while you were in Ethiopia. I will be anxious to hear more about your trip. I hope everyone is finally feeling better.
Rebecca

Julie said...

What an incredibly beautiful baby. Congratulations! Great photos from your trip too. I just stumbled over here from Cindy's blog. You have a lovely family.