Saturday, July 26, 2008

Just Lovely

Before I continue on with the travel photos, I just wanted to say how nice it is to be home! Just in the past few days my life is starting to feel "normal" again. I have even started my regular evening walks - only now Ember gets to stroll along with me. And it was on my walk the other night that I found found myself getting almost teary as I looked towards the North Cascades under an endless, clean blue sky. The air was perfectly warm and fresh, the neighborhood gardens in full bloom, the trees heavy with leaves and gently moving with the tempo of the breeze. Ahhhh, it was beautiful. And I feel so lucky to live in such a place.

I plan to share more details as our story unfolds, but Ethiopia was a tough trip. It was an adventure, it was incredibly interesting, it shifted my perspective, it was so much, but it was not lovely. When we were flying home and finally, finally spotted land as we neared Dulles airport, I did break down and cry. I have never before felt so in love with America, with "home", and so grateful that I get to live here.It's good to be back.

2 comments:

emme said...

Seattle in the summer is so beautiful. I guess we all could use a trip like the one you and Chris had. I am looking forward to hearing more about it.

Gretchen said...

Sounds like a truly beautiful moment....