Monday, September 1, 2008

It's Over

It's the last day of summer for us and I think I have a little case of the "end of summer blues". It's not that I especially love the season, it's just that it's the only season that I do certain things like wear short sleeved shirts, or sit outside in my parents' hot tub with the all the kids in the family, or pick blackberries, or visit Yellowstone. I don't think the other seasons have exclusive rights on some of my favorite activities like summer does. And when it ends I worry and shuffle back through the days in my mind trying to remember if I did all that I wanted and enough times. It's cold out today too. Cold enough that our furnace keeps trying to cycle on and I've been wearing a fleece over a long-sleeved shirt all day.

The boys start back at preschool this week and we just added swimming lessons which start next week along with Ember's infant co-op preschool. We'll have a busy schedule and the structure is nice in it's own way, but I'm going to miss that summer sun on my skin. I didn't get enough of it this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but can we have Ice Cream?
EB

Anonymous said...

PS - Send Dad some Pics now that the kids are in school.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I start another school year tomorrow. I feel so cheated of my summer...for so many reasons.

emme said...

I joined a new woman's group here in Kentucky and we were all discussing how Labor Day marks the end of summer and now it's back to school time. I am feeling pretty good about this as I'm starting my new job, but many of them were feeling a bit sad and reflecting back on summers as a child. My whole summer was squished into a couple of weeks this year, but at least I had a real one for a change and many more to come.