Thursday, May 15, 2008

At Last!

Ah, finally some great news! Our agency called with our referral late on Tuesday and we couldn't be more excited! I know we're not allowed to reveal any "identifying information", but I will tell you that she is adorable and very young and so perfect and sweet. And she has the most beautiful big eyes and I just can't wait to scoop her up and hold her and finally have her with us. We feel so lucky right now!

Here's how it went down: The phone rang while Chris was still at work and the boys were napping. When I realized it was Lisa from our agency, I knew it could only be one thing! She told me some basic information and sent an email while we were talking with lots of photos and other documents. It's always a surprise to see your child's face for the first time, but it's also like your heart door is open and you just can't wait to welcome them in. She is beautiful and I had to choke back some happy tears because this means we finally have our daughter - something I've wanted my whole life. We ended our conversation and I called Chris to share the news and photos. Yesterday we got the various documents notarized and since I had planned to bring the boys up to the cabin for a long weekend, I opted to hand deliver the documents to the office in Ferndale, WA today. That felt especially nice since I had a good chat with Mike (the case manager for the Ethiopia program).

Now, we hope for a successful court date before they close in August. If all goes well, we will probably travel to Ethiopia in July. Oh my goodness! Can you believe it's actually happening? I have to admit that even though it didn't really take that long, I did have some low points where I began to wonder if it really would happen at all. And now it is!

After I dropped off the paperwork today, I felt so light, so spacious. Sometimes it feels like life is all right, you know? And the clouds cleared away and we had the second sunny day of 2008. And we saw six bald eagles soaring in the sky at the same time, and there is a little Killdeer nest with a mother bird and 4 perfect spotted eggs on the gravel driveway and the boys ended up splashing around naked in the shallow water of the sandy beach at the end of the spit and it felt just right. Everything felt all right.

9 comments:

Jocelyn said...

YAY!!! I am so excited for you and your family. Here is to a speedy court date and travel!!

Jen Z said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What wonderful news!
Jen

emme said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, all my fingers and toes are crossed hoping all will go well and we'll have a new niece soon at your home where she belongs...:)

Gretchen said...

I am SO excited for you and yours! Wow, wow, wow!!! You must feel beyond elated right now. Know that Jason and I are thinking about you all right now and sending extremely positive vibes your direction. A little girl. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Congrats from another CHI family! If you've got a moment, shoot me an email - dmoit@aol.com

Darlene :)

Lindy Young said...

Oh Susan, how great for you! I know this wait has been really hard, I'm so glad that you will bypass the dreaded court closing and have your baby in your arms so soon!!! Congratulations!1!!

los cazadores said...

Wow, congrats to you! So exciting! So many referrals and such good news!

Cindy

QB said...

Congratulations! We got our referral on the same day. I feel so happy for everyone who has ever had this feeling. I hope you do travel in July.

Adoption Cubed said...

Congratulations on your referral! I hope you hear about a court date soon!
Rebecca