Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Poisonwood Bible

I finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver last night and it's a good thing since I've become a little sleep deprived since I started it. I usually read in bed at night and then relax, become very sleepy, throw the book down and drift off to dreamland. But not with this book. It wasn't what I would describe as a relaxing read, but it was gripping and complex and heartbreaking and bittersweet. Here's a bit that I liked:

Misunderstanding is my cornerstone. It's everyone's, come to think of it. Illusions mistaken for truth are the pavement under our feet. They are what we call civilization.

Now I'm ready for some lighter fare: Uncle Bois in the Yukon and other Shaggy Dog Stories by another one of my favorite authors, Daniel Manus Pinkwater. He's nuts!

4 comments:

emme said...

This makes me want to read Poisonwood all over again, it's been a few years. Did you that Barbara Kingslover's parents actually were missionaries in Africa when she was a child? Although the book is not an autobiography.

susan said...

Yes, I read that somewhere, but I can't remember where. It's not on my copy of the book and not on her website, but I remember her saying that her parents were nothing like the family in the book.

Have you read Animal Dreams by Kingsolver? Loved that one too.

emme said...

Yes, I loved Animal Dreams. I also read the series The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven. I just love her books. She writes about Tucson, which is close to Phoenix, and I love her descriptions of the weather and flora and fauna.

los cazadores said...

It sounds like a great read...

Cidny