Thursday, April 2, 2009

Homeschooling

Last night I attended my first "Parents' Night Out" with the Seattle Homeschooling Group. I was a little nervous not knowing anyone else there and wondering if I'd fit in, feel comfortable or welcomed. Sometimes I feel like I don't really belong in any group - a bit more liberal than mainstream, but then among very liberal folks I'm sure I seem pretty mainstream.

Anyway, it was a surprisingly good time! I was able to connect with a few other moms, conversation was easy and fun, I felt like I fit in just fine. I felt like I found "my people". And it also happened to be the last day to register Beck to attend our local school which I didn't do. So, we've officially made our decision. We're homeschooling and happy about it!

3 comments:

emme said...

Good for you. It may have it's challenges, but then so does dealing with public school. I really wish sometimes that I had had the fortitude to home school my kids - I just wasn't sure if I would kill Shea or be able to get Casey to cooperate with me...ah well, they seem to be doing fine now.

Gretchen said...

Congrats on the big decision! I think you and yours will have an amazing time with it- certainly something I'm thinking about doing with our little ones (if they ever get here).

Deni said...

Your kids are already experiencing a rich, loving, learning environment. You are giving them a priceless gift! Enjoy!