Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Other Job

I think I'm going to resign my teaching contract and that makes me sad. I know it's the only reasonable thing to do since we'll have a baby again this summer and even if we didn't, I still have two young boys at home. But still, it feels like the end of an era for me. I'm the kind of person who always knew I wanted to be a teacher. I'm the kind who spent hours playing "school" as a kid - even reading aloud from novels to my classroom of stuffed animals. And then just before graduating from college I got my job with the Edmonds School District teaching 5th grade. And that was 17 years ago. All in all I taught at three different schools, spent 8 years as a classroom teacher and 6 years as a school librarian. (I've been on childcare leave for the last few years.)And even though facing those 30 students for 7 hours a day was a tough job - crazy at times, it was me. It was the best me, I think.

Well, ok, one of the best; I'm a pretty good mom, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

susan,

i'm sure you were a great teacher, but you are a most excellent mom!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Emme! That is a real compliment especially coming from you! I've always admired how connected you are to your kids. I didn't know you as a mom to young kids, but you've always seemed so close to your teens -- which is pretty neat!