Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Into the Wild

We don't usually watch movies anymore. Sitting for two hours straight just doesn't work for us with the boys so young. But when I saw that Into the Wild had been made into a film, I just had to order it on Netflicks. I remember enjoying the book several years ago and thought it would be fun to see the film. But let me warn you: it was not fun. It was disturbing, depressing, and a little bit creepy. And the forelorn background music is still haunting me. I didn't really like the mother in the film, but she was the one I sympathized with. Really, I felt more sadness for her than for her crazy supertramp son. I kept thinking about how I would feel if it were Beck or Yogi. Please don't let it ever be Beck or Yogi. But, if you can get past all that, it was a good film. I'm still waiting to get past it.

4 comments:

emme said...

It wouldn't be Beck and Yogi, you are great parents who aren't lying to your kids. I personally really liked the movie but it is dark.

susan said...

Wasn't it hard to watch? I thought it was beautifully made, but yes, very dark.

emme said...

Yes, it was hard to know going in that he was going to die...I think from the time he shot the moose on was pretty awful. Actually I think I was crying quite a bit toward the end, especially when the sister talks about how this all changed her parents so much.

On a happier note, how would it be if Casey and I came around Aug 15 and stayed until the 20 or 21. this fits best with my quarter break and her starting college!!

susan said...

I think the film also portrayed the parents differently than I remembered in the book. I don't remember them being so dysfunctional. And even though they had different values than Chris, they still loved him.

Anyway, yes! The August dates look great! Of course, I have no idea about when our baby is coming home, but at this point we have no plans for August. Hopefully, she'll be home by then, but we need to get that referral soon for that to happen!