Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Resting the Dough

Hello out there. I am so dog tired right now. I don't know...is it me or are things getting harder? We've only had this schedule for a few weeks, but it feels like so much longer. And I'm starting to crave desserts. In two weeks I've made two cakes with frosting and now I'm thinking about making a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I think it's a sign of stress this craving of sweets.

Anyway, while I was on my walk tonight I was listening to The Splendid Table podcast. I'm not really a foodie and I don't have the time or energy right now to develop my cooking skills, but I love listening to this show - and it's the closest I come to being a gourmet. It's fun to hear people talk so passionately about cheese, or sub rolls, or heirloom tomatoes, or the Coffee Crunch Cake at Blum's. Really I could listen to anything that Lynne Rossetto Kasper has to say: her voice is so warm and smooth and perfectly relaxing all by itself.

Tonight on her show, she interviewed some guy who was trying to perfect the Toll House Cookie recipe and he shared a "secret" I'd never heard of before: resting the dough. He said the longer you let it sit in the refrigerator (up to 36 hours) the better the result - both in taste and texture. Here's the recipe. Looks a bit fussy to me, but I'll at least try the resting part. Enjoy.

1 comment:

los cazadores said...

Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it out...

Cindy